Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lists! Oh, Glorious Lists!

"So," I said to myself one day, "If you were to write a list of your favourite books... what would be on it?"
"Well," I replied, "I would first feel obliged to write two lists - one a list of my favourite authors, and the second a list of my favourite books."
"But why?" I questioned. "Surely the same authors and books would turn up on both lists?"
"Not necessarily," I replied. "Some authors I adore above all others for their great skills and strengths in certain areas; however, sometimes an author I do not very much appreciate writes a stunning and awesome book deserving a place on my Favourite Book List. You understand my problem."
"I do indeed," I replied. "However, I also know you quite well; you rejoice in making lists. Indeed, making lists is one of your favourite activites, along with alphabetizing your bookshelves and DVD collection."
"Ah! Alas! You have hit upon my darkest secret," I cried. "I am indeed just as you claim I am. The sight of a well-ordered list never fails to stir excitement in my soul; and my deepest pleasure is arranging a bookshelf to my satisfaction."
"'Tis true, you are a strange individual," I remarked.
"Hush!" I scolded. "I am making a list, and you are distracting me."


My Top Five All-Time Favourite Authors

1. J.R.R. Tolkien.
The reasons for this are, perhaps, obvious. Ah, Tolkien, Father of Fantasy, Creator of Hobbits, a traditionalist beacon of hope in the stormy seas of modernity -
Why are you being so ridiculously poetical? Hurry up and get to the point.
Shut up. I'm writing.
I'm just saying that perhaps you should try and explain your opinions with a little less digression - you do have a tendency to write far more than you have to -
I said shut UP.
Tolkien is famed for his incredibly detailed and and realistic world-building. As you read his works, his world of Middle-earth seems to spring to life out of the page - indeed, it is almost as though Middle-earth is a character in its own right. People are always astonished about how a fantasy world could seem so real. But what they don't realise is that Middle-earth is indeed real. Tolkien wrote The Silmarillion, the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings as a type of pre-history of the world. So when you read his joyous descriptions of Middle-earth, you are not gaining pleasure from some unknown alien fantasy world; you are being filled with love for the real world, our world, as it is, or, perhaps, as it should be. For Tolkien was writing at a time when cities were beginning to spread like an advancing army over the face of the world while cars and artificial stone became the foundations of our society -
No one is interested in your philosophical musings. Move on to the next author.
Fine.

2. Robin Hobb
Robin Hobb's greatest ability seems to be her understanding of human nature. Her characters are intricately detailed, their motivations believable and understandable, and none of them are perfect. Fitz, the main character of her Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies, is one of the most infuriatingly annoying characters in the series - yet, because you understand him, you can't help but love him.
However, sometimes the opposite is true. The Fool has to be one of my favourite characters in all of literature, despite knowing almost nothing about him. Who is he? What is his relationship with Fitz? What is his real name? Is he even a h-
Be silent! You are spoiling the plot.
Sorry.

3. Cecilia Dart-Thornton
Her plots and ideas may not be exactly original (all her books are based on Celtic and European folklore), but she certainly has a unique way of writing about them. Her descriptive powers are beyond anything I have ever come across - people often say Tolkien has a fantastic archaic style of writing, to which I say, Phaw! You have obviously never read CDT. To which they reply, What is CDT? And I explain, CDT are the initials of a female Australian Fantasy writer whose descriptive powers and vocabulary should be described as legendary -
Unnecessary tangent.
Fine, then you write this, if you think you could do better!
I didn't mean -
La la la la la la la la. I'm not listenning to you anymore and I'm not writing this list.
Stop being so pedantic.
Your face is pedantic. La la la la la la la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.
Alright then. I can do this.

4. Isaac Asimov
I find his ideas original and inspiring.

5. Vladimir Megre
His books have changed my life.
Wait, is that ALL you are going to say about him? You're not going to explain, for instance, just HOW he's changed my life? My goodness! You have no concept about how to instil interest in the reader!
At least I am sticking to the topic at hand.
Fine, I'll explain, and I'll do it in just one sentence. His books changed me from being Generic Fashion-Obsessed Female to Nature-Loving Wannabe-Self-Sustaining Gardener Living On One Hectare Of Land With Husband And Children Surrounded By Likeminded Families On Their Own One-Hectare Plots, Thereby Creating A Better And More Beautiful World, One Garden At A Time -
If you were writing this in Microsoft Word, there would be a little green line wobbling under that sentence.
That's because Word has even less of a concept of grammar than your average Twilight fanatic. Ha! Score!


My Top Five All-Time Favourite Books

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Please see my detailed description above about Tolkien to understand why I love this book so much.
See? I can be succinct.
Well done.

2. Co-Creation by Vladimir Megre. In this arguably non-fiction book, the Siberian hermit Anastasia describes the concept of "Kin Domains" and the benefits these homes and gardens can bring to the people living in them. There is also a description of a flying, burping brontosaurus, and why such creatures are extinct. It turns out it's because no one could figure out why God should make a flying, burping brontosaurus in the first place, and so the poor creatures died of grief. I want a flying, burping brontosaurus. I would call it Deathbreath and it would fly around and fetch me strawberries.
You realise that the brontosaurus is not the most important thing about this book, don't you.
I do realise that, you idiot. Kin Domains are the most important things in the book. And, oh, look, what does it say in the first sentence of my description? "KIN DOMAINS."
Don't forget about the concept of "co-creation". It is the title of the book, after all.
Now look who's going on "unnecessary tangents".
I just think that if you intend to describe something, you ought to do it properly.
Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just sniggering at your self-contradiction.
"Co-creation" is the philosophical concept of Man and God working together to create something that brings joy to everyone. (It's the catchphrase of the series: "Conjoint-creation and joy for all from its contemplation!" Apparently this is what God wants more than anything.) When someone designs a garden, they are essentially using nature - God's creations - as their artistic medium. So, in a way, Man, God, and Nature all come together to "co-create" a garden. It's a fantastic idea that has nothing whatsoever to do with shampoo. It's what made me want to take up landscape design. And, oh, by the way, do you know what these co-created gardens are called? KIN DOMAINS.

3. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's the prequel to The Lord of the Rings! It's long and difficult to read and I've read it nine times!
Stop bragging. No one is impressed.
O contrare. I am SO impressed with myself.
Well... I admit, it is a great achievement. Very few people manage to read it through even once.
I cannot say I understand why. There are some awesome stories in there. Like the Tale of Beren and Luthien. Imagine what that would be like in a movie.
Terrible.
Yes, most likely.

4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I LOVE IT. It's one of those books that really make you think and question everything, and I'm sure no two people come away from that book with the same interpretation. It's also hilariously funny.
It's an attempt to answer the question increasingly relevant in our society about which is better - science or God. The answer is God, obviously.
Yes, well, that's your interpretation. What about the "meercats"? That was obviously made up, making the science argument much more likely -
But bananas can float -
Oh please, he had a flipping tiger in his boat and he didn't get mauled to death! That does not happen in real life! He obviously made it up to comfort his traumatised soul! Just like people do when it comes to God and religion.
Yes, well, the tiger is much better than cannibalism. Therefore, God wins.
Yeah, you're probably right.
Moving on.

5. Beauty by Sherri S. Tepper. Eco-feminist sci-fi at its best. You never know what's going to happen, though obviously the antagonists are always male and the trees usually triumph.
At least she's not anti-God in this book.
Yes, that makes a nice change.


"My goodness. I've come to the end of my lists," I said. "I feel a strange pang of loss echoing in my empty heart. Do you think I should expand them to my 'Top Ten All-Time Favourites'?"
"No. You've already expanded the lists far longer than they needed to be," I replied.
"Pshaw! You are merely jealous of my brilliance and you seek to hinder me wherever possible!"
"I would never do such a thing," I said indignantly.
"Ha!" I cried. "Don't forget, I know you as well as you know me."
"Yes, this is true. And I know how irrational you can become."
"Your face is irrational," I grumbled.
"My point exactly."

No comments:

Post a Comment